Friday, April 8, 2011

Summer Dreams

We're getting close to the weekend and I'm sure we've all got plans that we're looking forward to.  (Even just staying up late and sleeping in an extra hour can feel like a huge event!)  For me, making weekend plans usually involve food in some fashion.  (I want you to tell me.  Is that you too?)  What can I say?  I look forward to good eats and good times.  This weekend, I'm heading up to Niagara-on-the-Lake with a dear friend.  I'm not sure what we'll be eating, but I can tell you, it will be a major part of our discussion.  But lately, besides thinking about delicious food and my constant quest to be eating some, I've been thinking of and wishing badly for summer.  I really cannot wait.   For some reason, it feels like this winter was longer and colder than in the past.  That may be true or not.  I only knows how it feels.  I also know I'm so ready to move on.  Spring is here and this weekend it is supposed to be gorgeous.  Thank. You. Lord.

There are so many things about summer I personally look forward to.  Are most of them food related?  Well, probably yes.  But for me, that's what brings us together and where great memories are made.  Whether we have 50 people over to our house or just a few close family or friends, I love that summer means relaxing and entertaining outdoors.  Grilling is a sheer joy that is all about casual dining, great tasting food and easy clean-up.  I love sitting outside and listening to the birds in the morning with a cup of coffee and a homemade scone.  I love laying in the hammock in the late afternoon, with a glass of fresh lemonade, and then drifting off to sleep.  I love taking care of my garden and going inside after a few hours to have a nice cappuccino (thank you Louie!) and biscotti.  I want to ride my bike and feel the warm breeze.  I want to get the whole house so clean so that when the sun shines brightly indoors at sunset, everything sparkles.

The part I'm looking forward to most this year is watching my two little granddaughters playing in the backyard.  One is almost 2 years old and the other will be one year old in a couple of months.  I think we should have a tea party.  We'll sit down to some freshly baked lemon shortbread cookies and drink tea and milk.  I'll pour.  They'll just be precious.  We'll talk about birds, squirrels, flowers and Grandpa.  We'll feel like we're the only 3 girls in the world and no one will ask what time it is.  That, for me, is how food and people we love make lasting memories together.  And that, dear reader, might be the most perfect summer day I could ever ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment