Monday, April 11, 2011

Marinated Eggplant (So Good - Plan on Making Double)

This dish ended up coming together because dear, dear friends of mine got married in June of 1997 and asked me to cater their wedding.  It was two months before I left for Florence, so I was essentially full-steam ahead in my heart and my head.  I was all about eating and cooking real Italian dishes as often as possible and I wanted the food for their wedding to not only be delicious, but to be special and unique.   I also needed to make something that could be prepared ahead because much of the rest of what I was making had to be done  on the spot.  So, as a shout-out to Mr. Paul and Mrs. Laura DiNigris, I say "grazie mille".  You had faith in me before most people ever would have thought to.  You asked me to make these garlicky wonders for your most special day, and it has truly been one of the most requested dishes I've ever prepared since.


Marinated Eggplant

1 large eggplant, firm and no bruises
Coarse salt
Olive oil for frying
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
(Lots of paper towels)

Serves 6

Cut a slice off the stem and blossom ends of the eggplant.  Cut crosswise into thin rounds, about 1/4" thick.  Lay out the eggplant slices on paper towels and salt generously.  Let stand until beads of sweat appear on the surface.  Dry the eggplant with additional paper towels.  Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat.  Pour enough oil into the skillet to just cover the bottom.  Fry eggplant slices at moderately high heat a few at a time to avoid crowding in the pan.  The slices should brown quickly so they do not get mushy.  As the slices brown, remove them from the pan and place on clean paper towels to drain.

In a glass or enamel baking dish, make a layer of eggplant slices.  Sprinkle some of the basil, garlic, and vinegar over the slices.  Make another layer of eggplant, and repeat sprinkling with herbs and vinegar.  Continue until all the eggplant is layered and topped with herbs and vinegar.  Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for several hours, or preferably overnight.  The marinated eggplant will continue to improve in flavor for several days.  Serve cold or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment