Monday, March 28, 2011

Why We Cook

It's a question that fascinates me.  Mostly because the reasons vary so much and so often that it's impossible to truly nail down.  Is it for necessity and survival or the instinctive desire to conquer the unknown?  Is it the hope to uncover the secrets on how to make a dish delicious or just to get something on the table and be done with it?  I do know that there are obstacles in cooking that keep us from doing many of the things we'd like to do.  Time, food costs, fussy eaters, lack of the tools and equipment.  But still.  Think about why you cook.  Or don't cook!  And think about if you could cook or bake more often, what would make it easier? 

I hope that as you think of things you wish there was an answer to, you will ask me.  This is a place to just ask.  I would love to help you figure out some answers.  I'm pretty sure I probably had the same questions myself at some point and had to go digging for help.  Please know that I want this blog to be about a discussion.  About what's on your mind, as well as mine.  Post your thoughts, frustrations, questions.  Let me know about your successes and your celebrations.  We can share in all of the best and the worst of being in the kitchen.  Sometimes it's about closing your eyes and savoring the flavors and other times, it's okay to just dump it, order take-out and start over tomorrow.  

Cheers to cooking, eating and laughing!  Let's do it together!

2 comments:

  1. MR, I have a question! Why do recipes sometimes call for browning, sauteing, etc something in extra virgin olive oil? Is there a way to do this without burning the oil? I know about the smoke points of the different oils, but I have ruined many a dish because I figured the recipes wouldn't lie to me. Am I doing something wrong or should I just stick to the light olive oil or other oils when working on the stovetop? Thanls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooke! The trick is to not let the oil get TOO high. Extra virgin is fine for sauteing, browning, etc. because it does have a pretty high smoke point and you get the flavor. Canola oil is perfect for heavy duty frying, and isn't the worst oil in the world to eat. But stick with the extra virgin. Watch the flame and keep it at medium-high. If you start at high to get it nice and hot, just make sure to reduce the flame. Let me know the next time you try. And let me know how you liked the Orzo Pasta!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete