Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dreaming of Florence

On September 1, 1997 I moved to Florence, Italy.  I went armed with about six Italian words and a hope and dream in my heart to not only become a chef, but to immerse myself in a culture that personifies passion, joy and a love of spectacular food.  I had no clue.  I was not prepared.  Up to that point, my life had been okay, truly, but undefined.  I had never been away from the comfort and familiarity of home, family and friends.  I arrived in Italy with my fingers crossed.  By the time I left a year later, I was forever changed.  To this day, I have not eaten food that good, seen such beauty on every single street, met such a warm, gracious and welcoming people.  My dream was now a reality and it surpassed every expectation I had.

My love of food started at a young age.  I loved baking.  I loved going to nice restaurants with my mom.  I always loved the idea of good food.  But there was something missing.  I needed to be in a place where food was a passion and quality meant never taking short-cuts.  By living in Italy and tasting everything from the simplest peasant foods like creamy polenta topped with a rabbit ragu to osso buco and risotto Milanese (eating it in Milan!!), I was able to live a life I never thought possible.  Where every bite was delicious.  From my morning pastry and cappuccino to the thinnest crust pizza margherita to the creamiest, most (MOST) heavenly gelato.  It surrounded me.  It filled me.  And I lost 11 pounds.  Yes you can eat what you want.  Just make sure the food is real and then walk it off.

There is no other place on the planet that offers what Italy does.  It is a part of my heart forever.  I've returned since and will return again.  On this blog, you will find recipes learned while living there.  I hope and pray you will try them.  Especially when you see that they're authentic.  I will talk more about Italy.  I will talk about it often.  I will try to re-capture and share some of the magic and bring you to the place that also is now home for me.  Take this trip with me as often as you like.  It will always be the most delicious ride.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, MaryRuth. We lived in Napoli for 2 yrs and my kids still talk about the food. I miss Italy, too. I've been back since but not long enough...

    ReplyDelete