Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Orzo with Chicken, Broccoli, Lemon and Mascarpone

If I wrote a cookbook (and I might), this could be the first recipe on the first page.  It's a dish that covers so many bases and takes care of so many needs.  You may end up adopting it as one of your all-time favorite recipes.  I don't say these things lightly.  This is DELICIOUS!  Look at what's going on here.  Orzo (the easiest pasta in the world to keep on your fork), chicken breasts, broccoli, creamy mascarpone, lemon - you see what's going on don't you?  This is food that sings!!!  Our main goal!  I came up with this recipe for my husband and I when I thought there really wasn't anything in the house.  I was this close to ordering sushi.  But I looked at the few ingredients I had and this is what I made.  I've made it about three thousand times since.  Give or take.

Orzo Pasta with Chicken, Broccoli, Lemon and Mascarpone

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fully cooked, then diced into 2" pieces (Only cook the chicken until it's done.  Be careful not to overcook, as it gets dry and tough)
1 or 2 bunches of broccoli, cut into 1" size florets, (about 2 cups), steamed for 2-3 minutes (max!)
1/4-1/3 cup cup extra virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2 a lemon
3/4 cup mascarpone (An Italian cream cheese.  One of my favorite ingredients.  Usually available in the nicer cheese section of the grocery store.)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Salt & Pepper
1 lb. orzo

In a large bowl, put the diced chicken, cooked broccoli florets, mascarpone and parmesan.  In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo according to the package instructions.  Drain the pasta and immediately put it in the bowl with the chicken, broccoli and cheeses.  Pour olive oil over and add the lemon zest and juice.  Season with salt and pepper.  (Do not under-season or over-season.  Taste it.  Make sure you are getting all the flavors.)  Stir or fold gently several times until the mascarpone has completely melted and fully coats the orzo.

Now sit down and do nothing for about an hour.  Take your time with your food.  Breathe between bites and just love every mouthful.  A nice, chilled & crispy Sauvignon Blanc will help add to the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment